Wednesday, April 26, 2017

Baboons and Vervet Monkeys

Today was the first day we saw wild monkeys and baboons.  Of course, they were hanging around the rest areas because they have become somewhat habituated to humans (and our food!).  I made the mistake of sitting down at a nice shady picnic table, when I became aware of something moving toward me at great speed.  It was this baboon, who was beelining toward me.  I got up and slowly backed away, snapping photos of course.  Fortunately, the baboon realized quite soon that there was no food in the mix, and I got my table back.  Obviously, I kept one eye open after that!


This same rest stop had a number of these little gray vervet monkeys, chattering and mostly staying in the trees.  Given the opportunity, I have no doubt they would get into an unattended picnic basket, if they could beat the baboons there.  

No comments:

Post a Comment